How to Make a Papier Mâché Snowman
Whether it's for the holidays, seasonal décor, or a present, you might want to make a papier mâché snowman. Using a "Pom Wonderful" bottle as the base and newspaper, this snowman is easy to put together and looks amazing when completed.
Forming the base, and applying the newspaper
Remove the cap from the empty bottle.Stick the foam ball onto the mouth of the bottle with the craft glue.
Pour some of the glue into a plastic cup and mix it with water until it forms a milky, watery-like substance.
Cut the newspaper into 1-2 inch (2.5-5cm) squares.
Doing only a couple inches (centimeters) at a time, apply the glue paste onto the snowman and apply the newspaper squares.Then, apply even more glue paste into the newspaper.
After covering the entire snowman, wait a couple of hours for it to dry, and then apply another layer.Continue adding layers until you're happy with the final look, allowing for drying time in between each layer.
Painting, and doing the finishing touches
Using a paintbrush, paint the entire surface of the snowman with the white tempura paint.After it dries, you can apply a second layer if you wish, depending on how thickly you applied the first layer of paint.
- Once the paint dries, add any decorations that you wish to use. Some suggestions are provided in the next steps.
Add the snowman's features.Paint or glue on eyes, nose and mouth. Suggestions for these include:
- Marker or painted eyes; or stick on googly eyes. Or, you might use craft items such as large sequins, small buttons or beads.
- An orange pipe cleaner piece glued on for a nose (if you cannot find an orange pipe cleaner, paint a white one with orange paint). If you wish to have a carrot shaped nose, bend a 6 inch pipe cleaner in half and glue on.
- A red pipe cleaner shaped into a half moon for a smile; or make a drawn/painted smile.
- Glue on pipe cleaners or twigs for arms.
Add clothing features.Some suggestions include:
- Glue a row of buttons down the front of the snowman. Or, glue on a row of small pompoms.
- Tie a scarf around the snowman's neck. Or glue a piece of scrap fabric around the neck to serve as a scarf.
Done.The papier mâché snowman is now ready for display. You don't need to remove the bottle from him, this stays tucked inside as it's not needed again anyway.
- You may want to pre-cut holes for the arms and use glue to hold them in place.
- Use the flat part on the bottom of the bottle to allow the snowman to stand.
- Make sure that you have all of your supplies and have decided on the decorations before starting the craft. This makes it easier to complete the project in one go.
Things You'll Need
"Pom Wonderful" juice bottle
Styrofoam ball (for the head of the snowman)
Black paint (optional)
Scissors or other sharp object (optional)
Craft glue and water
Snowman decorations- mini pompoms, sticks, scarf, black paint, buttons, markers, beads, etc.
Video: How Many Pandas Are Left In The World?
Concealing Stretch Marks
How to Add Personal Movies to iTunes
Precision Cancer Treatment May Extend Lives
5 Microwave Popcorns You Dont Have To Feel Guilty About
How to Treat a Broken Finger
15 New Red and Pink Lipsticks to Try This Valentine’s Day
How to Hire an Au Pair
How to Prevent Crime Around Rental Properties
YolanCris 2012 Lumière’ Bridal Collection
Longline Bras for Brides
Carrie Ann Inaba: A Perfect Score
Thirst Isnt The Only Sign of Dehydration, Heres 9 More Not To Ignore
25 Ways to Wear Your Over-the-Knee Boots AllWinter
How to Host a Christmas Cookie Exchange